We will estimate your water use for a billing period when we can't access your meter. Your water bill will indicate if the water use has been estimated.
We might have trouble accessing your water meter if:
- the gate is locked or hard to open
- the meter is buried or obstructed
- it is unsafe to enter the property.
Estimated water use amounts are based on the 'average daily use' recorded for your property in the same reading period in the previous year. This is because it is reasonable to expect the property to use similar water use each season.
If your bill has been estimated, you can submit your own meter reading. Check how to read your meter.
- If your reading is lower than our estimate, you will receive an updated bill.
- If your reading is higher than our estimate, this water use will be included in your next water use bill.
Submit a meter reading
If your meter has been estimated 3 times in a row we will contact you to obtain a meter reading.
We may also estimate your water use if your water meter is not recording water use or is damaged. In this instance, we can only review your past water use history as a basis for your bill, as we cannot take a real reading.
Disputing an estimated reading
There are a number of reasons why an estimate may not be accurate, including:
- the recent installation of a bore
- the property was vacant for a period
- the property owner / occupier has changed
- you have removed or replaced lawn, garden, paving or pools
- previous leaks have been fixed.
If you are unsure about an estimate, you can contact us to provide details of why it might be incorrect. If there is a clear reason that would affect the overall water use, then we can review the estimate.