This is the smaller of the two dams located on the scenic Serpentine River. Like Serpentine Main Dam, it is an important link back to Perth’s industry boom in the late 1950s and 1960s.
Please note: there are some instances when our dam recreation areas are closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, always check our Facebook page or call us on our 24/7 line on 13 13 75.
- Capacity – 3.14 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 28 square kilometres
- Reservoir length – 6 kilometres
- Height of wall (above lowest foundation) – 16 metres
What to do?
Enjoy the natural bush theme while you have lunch in the cleared gravel picnic area surrounded by shady native plants. There is a nearby playground for kids.
Walk down the steps to the recreation lake and enjoy hours of fun sailing model boats or watching the native birdlife.
Take a nature walk on the marked trails or a trip to the Serpentine Falls for a picnic lunch with the spectacular waterfall behind you. This is a great place for a family photo!
Serpentine Pipehead Dam is open every day of the week until 6pm (closes at 5pm from May to September).
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and drinking water fountains
- Recreation lake
- Toilets (includes disabled)
- On-site parking
- From Perth, take the Kwinana Freeway, or Tonkin or Albany Highway to Armadale
- Follow the South Western Highway for 18km to Jarrahdale Road
- Turn left and continue for 5km
- Turn right onto Kingsbury Drive and continue for 3km
- Turn right onto Day Road
For further information about the Serpentine Falls, please visit our Serpentine Main Dam page.
To contact our Serpentine Pipehead Dam operations building please call 9495 8822.