Just an easy 40km drive from the city, Wungong Dam is a favourite picnic destination for both Perth families and visitors. Full of native birds and breathtaking views, this dam has been a water source for Perth for over 70 years and is well worth a visit.
Please note: There are some instances when our dam recreation areas will be closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, phone us 24 hours on 13 13 75 or check our Facebook page for a post about dam closures.
- Capacity – 60 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 132 square kilometres
- Reservoir length – 5.8 kilometres
- Height of wall (above lowest foundation) – 205 metres
What to do?
Settle in one of the 3 main picnic areas for a shaded outdoor lunch. Families can enjoy throwing a frisbee, kicking a football, or play other games on the lawn near the entrance.
If you enjoy model boat sailing, check out the recreation lake below the dam wall.
Take in the beautiful views of the valley and coastal plain from a Rotary lookout. On a clear day, you might be lucky enough to see Garden Island off the coast.
Visit from July to November for wildflower season, and all year round you can see the flourishing birdlife, such as finches, wrens, robins, and occasional eagles. Also look for kangaroos and wallabies!
Like some adventure? There are natural bush trails for you to enjoy in the neighbouring Bungendore Park, or you can hike down the valley to Byford.
Please note: you need Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) permission for the valley walk.
Picnic area at Wungong Dam
Wungong Dam is open every day of the week until 6pm (closes at 5pm from May to September).
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and picnic tables
- Recreation lake
- Toilets (includes disabled)
- On-site parking
- From Perth, take Albany or Tonkin Highway, or Kwinana Freeway to Armadale
- Follow Albany Highway through to Bedfordale for 6km
- Turn right onto Admiral Road and continue for 3km
To contact our Wungong Dam operations building please call (08) 9495 8822.