Find out how to easily track your water use by conducting a meter test or regularly reading your meter.
You can monitor or check your water use levels by reading your water meter and recording the amounts. This can help you confirm a bill or identify which appliances and activities use the most water.
- Read the black numbers from left to right – the black numbers represent kilolitres (1000 litres) and the red numbers represent litres. We charge per kilolitre.
- Read your meter at approximately the same time each day (note both the black and red numbers).
- Calculate your water use by subtracting the previous meter reading from the current reading.
- Compare your daily water use and note water use activities.
You can keep track of your readings by using our water monitoring card, or an irrigation test card for your sprinklers.
Water monitoring card
Irrigation test card
High water use?
Higher water use charges can sometimes be caused by leaks. By knowing how to read your meter you may be able to detect leaks and take action early.
See Detecting leaks
If you do have a leak and it is repaired by a licensed repairer, you may be eligible for a leak allowance.
See Leak Allowance Policy
Requesting a special meter reading
We read your meter every 2 months, but you can request an additional meter read. This is usually because of a change in owner or tenant at the property, and your managing agent or settlement agent will usually arrange this for you.
There are 3 types of special meter readings, and there are fees involved:
- Standard: we aim to read the meter within 5 working days of the specified date – $16.86
- Urgent: we aim to read the meter on that specific date or within 2 working days of it – $56.65
- Specific: we aim to read the meter on that specific date – $56.65.
We will issue a certificate which confirms the details of the special reading.
To request a special meter reading, contact us on 13 13 85.